Monday, July 27, 2009

How I started playing Magic: the Gathering

I want to go over how I started playing Magic: the Gathering, in part for reference, but also to give some background.

I started playing Magic shortly after the release of Lorwyn. (Funny fact: A friend decided he was going to build a faeries deck, even if it wasn't any good. Turns out it was...) I quickly became quite addicted to the game, and over the course of the following year I bought a decent number of boosters from a local game shop. I was fortunate in that they had a very expansive selection, ranging back to at least Mirrodin block. One of my favorite blocks to get boosters from was, interestingly enough, Time Spiral. It, along with Ravnica, are probably my two most favorite blocks as of this post.

However, first getting Magic cards wasn't my introduction to Magic. During my freshman year of college, I frequently would watch Magic games that were being played in my school's cafeteria. This was how I actually learned how to play the game; by watching others play it. It wasn't until the following year that I actually started playing myself.

I mostly played casual during the first year or so of playing. The first prerelease I went to was for Eventide, and I've been to each prerelease since. I started going to draft FNMs shortly after the release of Shards of Alara, and a while after that I started to play in Standard ones as well.

As things stand now, I'm very grateful to have discovered Magic. I find it to be very enjoyable, and I've had a lot of fun and discovered many friends thanks to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment